Nowadays, ‘self love’ or ‘self care’ has become one of those topics everyone (and their moms) preach about, but is truly easier said than done. Some might even find adding a candle-lit bubble bath into one’s daily regimen to be too time-consuming, but that’s exactly the wrong type of mentality, because creating “me time” is important and should be practiced everyday!
Take it from someone who used to work 14-hour shifts but still never turned down a social outing, I stretched myself too thin and burned out fast: that was when I realized the importance of creating and respecting the time you make for yourself, instead of giving all your time and attention to other people.
Research has shown that self-care reduces stress, mental and physical ailments, and boosts productivity and feelings of happiness. By being more compassionate to ourselves, we break the cycle of negativity and stress we are all prone to fall under, and can instead approach everyday with a positive, clear mind.
So here are 10 super easy acts of self care we can all learn to make our lives THAT much better:
- Start the day with a smile by thinking of 5 things you are grateful for, and say them out loud.
- Move your body in the way you like most — either dance through your apartment, go for a walk, do a high-intensity workout or attend a calming yoga class.
- Create a cozy space that’s just for you, so that when the going gets rough, you have a warm and inviting retreat.
- Every week, write down an accomplishment worth celebrating and celebrate it! Let yourself feel happy and proud.
- Simply say no to the things you don’t want to do. It’s okay, your friends will understand.
- Listen to a song that suits your mood. Focus on the words, and don’t worry if it makes you emotional, let yourself feel.
- Find time doing something you love, or spend time with your loved ones. Put your phone out of reach and be present.
- When you’re feeling down, imagine what a supportive friend would say to you and say that to yourself.
- Write down a mistake you’ve made and verbally forgive yourself.
- Organize, clean, or upgrade one small part of your apartment. Being in a clean, visually-pleasing environment will do wonders to boost your mood!